Arvind Panagariya quits NITI Aayog. | 02-Aug-2017 15:11
Arvind Panagariya has stepped down as Vice-Chairman of the government think tank NITI Aayog.
Arvind Panagariya (born September 30, 1952 )
- Indian-American economist and a professor of economics at Columbia University, who has been serving as vice-chairman of the government of India think-tank NITI Aayog from January 2015.
- Panagariya holds a Ph.D in Economics from Princeton University and has also worked for the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the World Trade Organisation, and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development in various capacities
- Panagariya is also heading analysing the data of the Socio Economic and Caste Census 2011.
- Panagariya said India’s gross domestic product (GDP) could rise to about $8 trillion over the next 15 years if the country registers an economic growth of 8% annually.
NITI Aayog:( 1 January 2015)
- National Institution for Transforming India, is a Government of India policy think-tank established by the BJP government to replace the Planning Commission, which followed the top-down model.
- To foster involvement and participation in the economic policy-making process by the State Governments of India, emphasizing bottom-up in pursuit of cooperative federalism
- The Prime Minister as the Chairperson (Ex-officio )
- A Governing Council composed of Chief Ministers of all the States and Union territories with Legislatures and lieutenant governor of Andaman and Nicobar.
- Regional Councils composed of Chief Ministers of States and Lt. Governors of Union Territories in the region to address specific issues and contingencies impacting more than one state or a region.
- Full-time organizational framework composed of a Vice-Chairperson, three full-time members, two part-time members (from leading universities, research organizations and other relevant institutions in an ex-officio capacity), four ex-officio members of the Union Council of Ministers, a Chief Executive Officer (with the rank of Secretary to the Government of India) who looks after administration, and a secretariat.
- Experts and specialists in various fields.